Chick pea curry
There’s nothing better than a curry to warm the belly and soul on a cold, wet day. I find cooking therapeutic and it stimulates all the senses. I like to make use of leftovers when possible and measurements are done with my hands, therefore are not exact! Feel free to substitute with what you have in your fridge.
- 1 can of chick peas
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- baby potatoes
- spinach, onion, tomatoes
- 1 cube vegetable stock
- 1-2 cloves of fresh garlic
- teaspoon of chopped, fresh ginger
- 3/4 tablespoon each of cumin powder, turmeric, chilli flakes
- chopped cilantro
- dash of fresh ground black pepper
- sprinkle of rock salt to taste
- olive oil or coconut oil
- In a large frying pan, preferably with a lid, using your favourite oil, fry up chopped onion, ginger and garlic with salt and pepper until onions are lightly browned. While this is happening, boil 1/2 a cup of water for your vegetable stock.
- Add in pre-cooked potatoes, chick peas, coconut milk, tomatoes, tomato sauce & paste, and vegetable stock.
- Stir in spices, cover and let simmer on low-medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach and stir then remove from heat, top with cilantro.
- Serve with rice or roti.
- If you love leftovers, it’s delicious the next day so be sure to make plenty.
Cooking time (including prep): 30-35 minutes